Monday, September 11, 2006

Of Thee I Sing

"America was established not to create wealth but to realize a vision, to realize an ideal--to discover and maintain liberty among men." -Woodrow Wilson

"...the City of New York, the noblest of the American symbols." -James Morris

It's been five years since those attacks, and despite the physical distance between me and America today, I feel very close. Everyone can remember that day, where they were, what they were doing--exact, precise moments--when they heard about the first plane hitting, and to relive the entire day is dreadful. It really breaks your heart. And still, it was five years ago. Five years with lots of events taking place within them. Five full years. Why, then, does it seem just a moment ago?

Today I went to have an eye exam for upcoming driver's ed lessons, and there was plenty of talk of America. It's not every day that an American walks into the license bureau, and of all days, today. The doctor asked me where I was, what about it, and more, and I always feel like there's a sudden need to talk about it, to explain where I was living, what I was doing, to make someone who isn't American understand what it all meant and how terrifying it all was. I have too much to tell. All of those memories are stored somewhere, and they come out today and some other days, as vibrant and as loud as they were then, even if the years should fade them.

So, in the middle of Macerata, in the heart of Italy, I talk about that day, remembering. Who doesn't? I think, today, all Americans--from every sea to every shining sea--must have taken time to remember.

Check out Cyndi's blog: she did a great job talking about that day in her recent entries. Also, be sure to check out flickr and its photos which recall events from that day.

A few more blogs I read (that you should too!) that talk about this day: my brotherPaul's locussolus blog, Gia's blog, and Sara's American Girl in Italy blog.

1 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

I listed to the local NPR station for much of Sept. 11 -- they featured stories about 9/11 and the different ways folks were remembering the day. The StoryCorps project(http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4516989) records oral histories of folks all over the country, but what caught the attention of the staff at the Ground Zero StoryCorps booths was the concern that the participants had for them. While the participants had lived through perhaps the most tragic stories of our lifetimes, they could put aside their own grief and heartache and difficult days to worry about others. So, while 9/11 separated many, it also brought many together.

Thanks for your post, Bella. Missing you!

~Corrie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home