Sunday, November 11, 2007

I Love Technology

It's been a good weekend. After yesterday's trip to Ancona to meet up with Corrie, we came back home and ate bagel sandwiches for dinner (thanks to Corrie for the stuff from America!) and vegged out in front of the TV. Then, this morning we woke up early to do some caving practice: we go to a place called Sant' Eustachio where there are the ruins of an old church built into the rock. Along the outside wall, climbers and cavers alike have found a place to practice the ropes, making use of the rock wall where hermits once lived and slept. Trips to this outdoor palestra are always among my favorites, as it's a great chance to practice ropes in the sunlight, get some good photographs, and enjoy the sheer beauty of the area. Today was just as good--one of the last few days of autumn that will allow such excursions, as the wind and cold are starting to come in and make days like this few and far between.

One of the best parts of the weekend, though, was just a few minutes ago, as Antonello and I finally signed up for the free video-telephone program Skype, something we've been meaning to do for the longest time, since my brother mentioned getting the program himself. As soon as I signed up and found my brother's username, a call was coming in from him, all the way over in Chicago, while we were here, miles and miles away, in front of my computer in Le Marche, Italy. Since today is our niece Miriam's birthday party (to celebrate her 1st birthday!), my parents were also there, so as soon as I answered the call, there was everyone in front of me, on my computer screen, waving at me and smiling. It was amazing! I have never done video telephoning or anything like it before (I know, we live in the stone age), so this--my first chance being a call from my family with everyone gathered round--was the best way to start.

Happy Birthday to Miriam, and have a great party! It was great to see you all today!

-Jackie

3 Comments:

At 2:13 AM, Blogger Texas Espresso said...

yep Skype is the best! I sure wish it had been around when my Italian and I were dating! would've saved me lots of money.hehe Im so glad you got to see your family and share in your nieces bday!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Sharon said...

I should try this..

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

sharon: you should definitely give it a try--we found out too that our video camera was pretty good. i think that's a pretty important part of it. but the best thing is...it's free!

thanks texas expresso! i agree...across the world phone calls are a lot cheaper this way--too bad skype wasn't around before!

jackie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home