Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Rieti and Province


Rieti, not so "dull" after all

Rowena was right! As she mentioned in the comments below, we did indeed visit the province of Rieti, stopping over in little Greccio (Bethlehem's sister city) to visit the town where Saint Francis brought forward the tradition of the presepio. In fact, driving near Rieti you can see the "largest presepio in the world," which is really just a few large statues placed in the opening of a cave. Spending the night in Greccio's main town (which is separate from its church and maybe has about 50 people living there total) and wandering its little alleyways and streets, we got to spend a little time relaxing. It was better than going to a city at all, really, and eating a delicious dinner at the only restaurant open cemented our feeling that we had come to the right place. Fnding our way to Rieti and the small village of Castel di Tora the next day (on lake Turano in the southern part of the province) would further convince us--getting lost in Lazio was a perfect solution to the busy-ness of a hectic week.


I'll write more about this trip soon--but another hectic week is before me. I am busy working on ANOTHER blog for ANOTHER group of students (remember these ten day intensive English courses that I'm always rambling on about? Well I'm smack in the middle of another one). Please check out this group's blog--Lost in English--and help these kids learn! Comments, participation in memes, and just giving them encouragement as they struggle their way through this course (note that they wrote in their profile: "Pray for Us!")--anything is helpful. The blog is a great way for them to connect with the world of bloggers--but they only have a week to do it. Thanks!

-Jackie

7 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Rowena said...

Wooohooo! I got it!! Now if I only were a bit more well-rounded on italian politics, sports, etc... Then maybe I could chance it at Millionario or L'Eredità. The first thing that I'd buy with my loot is....another dog!

Hi jackie, just saw your comment and since my Tuesday is already disrupted by a darn cold!, thought I'd just waste the day in front of the pc. LOVE this photo here...can't understand why the guidebook would call it dull. Half the charm in italian towns are the quiet simplicity of it all. Oh well... Ok, now I'll go check out your students' blog!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Rowena said...

One more thing, if Jackie's ever does a vegetarian version, you'll be the first to know. ;-) On the other hand, I'm trying to figure out a way to make vegetarian olive ascolane. I thought they had it in Ascoli, but it wasn't so!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Looks like a great place to visit. Find any Tex Mex places to eat at?

Cyn

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

Rowena: Thanks for commenting on the kids' blog! They were thrilled :)! Also, congrats again on getting the right answer: I think you SHOULD go for a spot on Millionario or L'Eredità! (I'd be happy to help out as the telephone call contact on Millionario!) I think you'd definitely be able to afford another dog with the winnings :).

I have seen the veggie version of Ascoli olives by the way, but they weren't that great (they were filled with veggies, i think). i think you guys have a better deal with the meat filled ones :), but maybe a cheese version would be good?

cyn: nope! no tex mex (although, believe me, i looked!). anyway, we did have a lot of fun! i hope your weekend was good as well!

 
At 12:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos! Thanks for showing us this area.Looks like those buildings are just going to tumble down :)

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Karen said...

I love the first picture! That building looks so interesting with its different architectural styles.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger The Passionate Palate said...

Hi Jackie - First of all thanks for having me on your blogroll and I am going to add you to mine right away.

About Grecio - I think I've seen this place but I'm not sure it is the same town. Is it on the beautiful road from Umbria to Le Marche that goes through the mountains, but is in Umbria and perched on the side of the mountain so that you can see it from the Superstrada? Either way, it is bella!

Did you know that I am married to someone from Macerata?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home