Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Pittsburghers

We burst through the tunnel and immediately crossed the river toward the stealy, glass city ahead. Sitting in the back seat behind my two bosses for the long drive, my first trip to Pittsburgh felt more like a very strange family vacation than a roadtrip for work.

The conference was interesting - good meetings and good sessions - but the highlights were outside the hotel ballrooms and lobbies. My first professional baseball game was sunny and offered the perfect view of home plate and the river flowing behind the stadium. Too bad the Pirates lost. Rrrr! I was a little embarrassed to place my order at Lemongrass, a Cambodian place ("Um, C-9, please."), but the savory dish came decorated with a beet-ribbon flower all the same. Hours before leaving the city, I took the steep railroad cars to the top of the hill on the other side of the river, opposite downtown. A bridal party toasted the happy couple on one of the overlooks across from the little, white Carnegie library that held its own among the renovated and rebuilt condos popping up around it. I wished I had a long cigarette holder to accessorize my walk through the Warhol museum, though it probably would have been a hazard in my favorite piece, Silver Clouds. And then we crossed the river again, straight into the tunnel and back to Indiana. Maybe there's something about being named a Hoosier that helps us appreciate Pittsburghers' home town (no really, that's what they called themselves).

~Corrie

2 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Corrie,
Danilo and I found ourselves in Pittsburg last summer (we were there to check out the Falling waters house by F.L. Wright). We visited the Warhol museum as well and had fun playing with the Silver Clouds. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!
Cyndi

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

I'm going to try and convince Antonello that "pittsburghers' are a type of hamburger, and next time we are in the states, maybe he'll order one :). That and an American coffee.

Sounds like your trip was more play than work! Yay! Too bad about the Pirates losing. Argh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home