Monday, April 24, 2006

Bye Bye Blue

Ronnie, in the garden


It has been a rough month and a half. I apologize right off the bat for not writing more, and I hope to post more about Corrie's wonderful trip to Italy at the beginning of April, but now I am actually in America, halfway across the globe, spending the rest of the month in Indianapolis. It's been a whirlwind trip. Everything from buying a ticket two days before I left to packing up last minute gifts for friends and relatives--giant Easter eggs and chocolate and pounds of cheese (a typical gift for my cheese-loving family!)--to waving goodbye to my husband at the Ancona airport has been hurried. Today is Sunday. Sunday? How? I can't believe that I've been here a week and a half already.

So, with everything going on, I haven't had time to pay tribute to our family's wonderful dog, Ronnie, who died two weeks ago. Our favorite little Dachsund, Ronnie gave us 14 full years of lovely memories. From bringing her home--a tiny little puppy dog for 12 year-old me and my older brother--to teaching her tricks and growing up with her, Ronnie has always been a big part of this family. She was my first, and only, dog, and right away, taking her in my hands and cuddling her, I decided I must be a dog-person. Who couldn't love her? She fit perfectly in my arms and never grew any larger, but she challenged even the biggest dogs--the German Shepherds and Rottweilers of the neighborhood--with her bark and her stubborn courage. She even chased down all of the squirrels in our neighborhood, never to succeed in capturing one (thank goodness!). She learned to sit and roll over and sit up, and she loved to play. She was, as everyone will say about their own dog, the best dog we could have had--the best dog ever. When my brother Paul and I moved away from home, Ronnie became even more imporant. We could count on walking through the door, coming home for a visit, and finding her, tail wagging, waiting to jump up and welcome us. There was nothing better than that feeling--having our little dog wait up for us, happy as could be knowing we were finally home.

We loved Ronnie very much. We will miss her. We already do.

-Jackie

2 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your puppy. They really do become one of the family. I hope the warm memories of her keep a smile on your face.

Cyn

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

Thanks Cyndi. We do miss her. Writing the blog about her was a sort of therapy, and a good way to remember.

-Jackie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home