Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Riccardo

This morning in my sixth grade class, the students had just gotten back their newly-developed class photos and were passing them out. I took a look at them, all smiles, and noticed that one of the students--Riccardo the tall (okay, so not so tall, but you should see how short the OTHER Riccardo is!)--was wearing a Chicago Cubs t-shirt.

"You like the Cubs?" I asked.

"I really DID do my homework--I just left it at home." Riccardo responded in Italian.

"NO," I said, guessing he had misunderstood (and beginning to wonder about the homework). "Chicago Cubs!" I said.

"Ah, yes. Them. Yes, I like them."

"You like baseball!?!" I yelped. I guess I am surprised every time someone here likes baseball, or even knows a team, but it was neater still that he liked the Cubs. "I live quite close to Chicago!" I said excitedly.

"Uh huh," Riccardo said. He smiled. I smiled. He adjusted his glasses. That was that.

I started the lesson, had them talk about how often they brush their teeth (lets just say it's not that often) and then make up little telephone conversations and, before I knew it, class was over. I was gathering up my stuff, getting ready to go to the next class, when there was Riccardo again--the tall one--tapping on my shoulder.

"I have a ball of white socks." he said, proudly.

I looked at him, my eyebrows raised. Was he trying to make some sort of joke? "A what? Are you kidding?"

"No." Now he seemed confused. He repeated himself louder this time. "I've got a ball of white socks!" He smiled, beaming. I could just imagine him, holding a big ball of tied up socks, ready to throw it at me. Was this some sort of threat?

"White socks," I responded. White socks. Oh! This was the Chicago Cubs kid. He meant he had a ball of White Sox! A White Sox baseball! I began to laugh. He looked slightly hurt.

"No, it's really funny because, well, socks, White Sox, like white socks, I thought you meant..." I tried to show him my socks--which were black. He cocked his head to the side, looking at me as if I were the crazy one. I stopped laughing and pulled myself together. "Ah. Baseball. The White Sox. I see. How neat!" I nodded.

He smiled some more and adjusted his glasses. I said goodbye and grabbed my stuff.

And that was that.

-Jackie

4 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

This one made me laugh out loud. I too like the White Sox (and also white socks)! Hehehe! Way too cute!

Cyn
ps. Wanna come over today for some blue berry muffins? hhehehhee

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Susan in Italy said...

Hi Jackie,

How cool is that? I wonder who turned him on to baseball and how he watches games. Incidentally, just yesterday, there was a scientist in the lab where I teach English who was wearing a Chicago Bulls T-shirt (I'm from a Chicago suburb). I smiled as I passed but dared not say anything since he was carrying a tray of fragile-looking vials. Maybe next time.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

Cyndi: blueberry muffins sound delicious! I'm on my way! :) (still can't find any more blueberries here!)

Susan: I am not sure if a lot of people just happen to have USA sports related outfits or not. I've seen some people wearing team jerseys that, if you weren't a fan, you might not know about them. anyway, it was probably wise to not disturb the guy with the tray full of vials! :)

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Haddock said...

In Germany I have seen a lot of pople wearing US Sports teams clothing. I'm not sure they are all fans of the teams or fans of the clothing! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home