Thursday, February 12, 2004

No white flag above my door

It has long been my philosophy that if I could find someone to tie my shoes and take me to swimming lessons, I think I could enjoy a pretty happy existence. There is definitely something to be said for the joyous challenges of youth (double knots are tricky, the perfectly-timed flipturn is illusive, etc.) as opposed to the menial complexities of growed-up-ness (a horrid batch of taxes, computer software issues, etc.).

On my "break" from those icky details of these days - I was driving to the bank to make deposits for work - I listened to Dido's new cd, Life for Rent. By the time I got to the bank, one line was stuck in my head, "...on the road where the cars never stop going through the night to a life where I can't watch the sun set, I don't have time..."

I don't like that so often I feel like I'm living that lyric - it seems a universal feeling among many folks I know, too. It's been a while since I watched the sun set; I prefer shoes without laces since they take less time to put on; I haven't been swimming in months.

There has to be a way to have both, to sit still for the last half hour of daylight AND appease the IRS deadlines. The search for this balance has its lows (like today) and its highs (like the dream of Italia in four short weeks!).

Returning from the bank, another lyric caught my attention: "And I won't put my hands up and surrender, there will be no white flag above my door." That's the spirit! Tomorrow is another day - full of deadlines but with the chance to see another sunset, too.

-Corrie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home