Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Seeing it in color

Jackie, it's funny you should mention Antonello's notice of the little things...I witnessed a similar observation just today.

Far from an art gallery and even further from a ducal palace, I was in O'Malia's grocery this afternoon. We did get that blast of winter weather this weekend and predictions say another 3-5 inches is on the way tonight. Folks in line ahead of me were getting the essentials: bread, milk, eggs. I got to the front of the line and felt a little foolish as I put my one "essential" before the cashier: a half pint of whipping cream.

A little guy stood behind the cashier packing bottled water and frozen dinners into the previous customer's bag. When she passed him my one item, he looked at it closely then put it into bag as carefully as if it were a single egg.

"Have you ever seen that brand's emblem in color?" he asked as he handed me the plastic bag. "I wonder what kind of bird it is sitting on the mailbox," he said.

I looked through the crinkled plastic to see a stylized bird perched on top of a one dimensional mailbox. "I don't know, to tell you the truth," I said, smiling.

"I think it's a blue jay," he said.

What else could I do but agree? Jackie took her shoemaker to the museum and I discovered an artist in the grocery. What a wonderful world!

-Corrie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home