Thursday, November 25, 2004

Giving Thanks

Here in Italy, Thanksgiving is like any other day. I almost forgot what day it was until last night when my brother called me, he and his wife Carolyn busy making quiches and stuffing and turkey for today's feast. We, instead, plan to have our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday night, with a couple of Americans and their husbands, and I'm still not sure if there will be a turkey involved or not.

This Thanksgiving morning, busy thinking over my list of items for dinner on Saturday, I took a walk into the Macerata countryside--a normal ritual for me that gives me some fresh air and time to think, with some nice views of Italy from all around.

I took a longer route than usual, and as I walked and thought about what to cook, what to buy, what time to have dinner, etc., I noticed that the rows of trees that lined this part of the country had all turned orange--their leaves ablaze with color in the autumn morning light. It felt like fall. It hasn't felt like fall since fall started, but now it did with the colors of the leaves, the briskness of the air, the city hazy and sparked with sunlight in the distance.

And that's when I really remembered. Today is Thanksgiving. There is a lot to be thankful for, I thought, continuing up the hill back toward home. Even in this corner of Italy, on just a regular Italian Thursday in November.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone!
Mom, Dad, Paul, and Carolyn--have a great day and a wonderful Thanksgiving meal!
Corrie--thanks for the quote! I love that poem! Hi to your family for me and enjoy California!

-Jackie

1 Comments:

At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've enjoyed my visit to this post, but I'm not sure it's what I was looking for. I was actually searching for articles on how to cook rice - these search engines are weird! Just thought I'd say hello while I'm here :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home