Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Three Years

"The idea of you is a part of my mind; you influence my likes and dislikes, all my tastes hundreds of times when I don't realize it. You really are a part of me."

-Willa Cather, My Antonia

It's been a long and busy day, and this week is just going to get busier the further along it goes, but I couldn't let tomorrow come before I mentioned what today really is: it's Antonello and my 3 year anniversary! Yes, I'm a typical expat in that Antonello and I celebrate MORE than one anniversary, but this first one, the anniversary that celebrates our legal marriage in Macerata's city hall on a rainy May 8th, tells the length of our story, measuring out the three years of our married life in Italy together. Looking back on it reminds me of those months of adjusting, of paperwork, of proposals and plans: all of it cumulating with two simple signatures of a marriage certificate. We kept the festivities small, inviting just a handful of people, making it perfectly intimate--just right, really. The only thing that would've topped it is if my family could've been there--but there's another whole wedding in the states (complete with its own anniversary) that solves that whole dilemma. And that's another story. For now, for that day in May, we have these memories, and they are indeed grand ones. Three years have passed quicker than I ever thought they would.

So Happy Anniversary Antonello! Ti amo moltissimo! Many more anniversaries to come (and hopefully many more flowers! grazie, amore)!

-Jackie

15 Comments:

At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tanti auguri Jackie and Antonello! I am so happy for you both and miss you dearly.

LeeAnne and I are celebrating one year together today; didn't realize we shared an anniversary!

Erin

 
At 1:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jackie,

What a beautiful quote from one of my very favourite books! Happy anniversary to you and Antonello!

 
At 4:23 AM, Blogger Thistlemoon said...

I am a lurker, and I thought now would be a good time to say hi and happy anniversary! :)

 
At 5:38 AM, Blogger Texas Espresso said...

Happy Anniversary! I wish you many many more years to come =)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

Thanks to everyone! Erin: congrats to you two as well! jenndz--welcome! thanks for posting!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Auguri!!!

I love multiple dates to celebrate :)

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

The third anniversary of your first wedding! Yeah! Wishing you both many more years (and many more anniversay celebrations) to come!

Love,
Cyn

 
At 4:32 PM, Blogger erin said...

Hi Jackie! Thanks for reading that entire entry :) Funny, I just found your blog this week as well - so I have some catching up to do.

Congrats on your 3-yr!

We leave the US end of Aug and settle in Florence the first week of Sept! Not much longer to go...EXCITED!

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary...I can't wait for the third anniversary of your second wedding...thats the wedding I remember!!

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Corrie said...

Ciao Bella ed Antonello,

Auguri!

What's the tradition for 3rd anniversary of first wedding? Paper? Silver? Gelato?

Many, many more happy anniversaries to you!
Corrie

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

thanks to everyone for the warm wishes!

sara: as long as i can REMEMBER all of the dates, i love them too! :)

eric: that one's coming up too! (but the 2nd anniversary, not the third! they are over a year apart!)

chris and erin: we look forward to greeting you new expats when you arrive! how exciting! i've been getting updated by reading your blog--sounds like it will be quite an adventure!

corrie...i think it's pizza, because that's what we ate! anyway, did you see i passed the driver's test as well? what a week!

cyn: thank you! our 2nd anniversary of our 2nd wedding is coming up soon too! (and yours as well!)

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a great anniversary.
Auguri.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I missed this post jackie. Congratulations on your May 8th anniversary..."Sposa bagnata, sposa fortunata"...

Love the quote that begins the post. So beautiful! :-)

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

thank you both! rowena: i guess the rain DOES bring luck like they say! glad you liked the quote--My Antonia is also a wonderful book.

Jackie

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Shirley said...

A belated auguri to you and Antonello.
I will definetely look you up next time we are in Macerata.

A presto
Shirley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home