Saturday, October 06, 2007

Basketball in Italy?

Talk about being the last one to know. I was at home having a nice Saturday afternoon--going out for a run, finishing up my Harry Potter book in Italian, watching Chi Vuol Essere Millionario...and then my husband called me in from the computer and said, "So, do you want to know any basketball scores?"

Basketball scores? That's weird. I said, "No no, NBA basketball hasn't started yet." But I got up just the same and, once I got to the office, I looked over his shoulder, and come across this news: NBA Europe is back! And it's here in Italy! Wow! Last year's games were so successful (the Suns played in Rome last year, and I never knew how to get tickets!), that they decided to bring two teams over to Rome for the NBA European series (which includes games in Spain, England, and Turkey as well): The Boston Celtics and the Toronto Raptors.

My heart beat fast. Did I come on this news in time? Maybe there would still be a chance to get tickets (I've suddenly become a Celtics fan after they traded for one of my favorite players: Kevin Garnett)! I did some quick searching.

And guess what? In your opinion, does this post end happily? What could make a good Saturday afternoon go bad? You guessed it--it's too late to get tickets for this game, since the teams are playing RIGHT now (as in, at 10 pm on a Saturday, they are in the 3rd quarter...Boston is up, by the way). Um, any way I could get a helicopter ride to Rome in time for the final seconds of the game? Didn't think so.

Ugh. I hate to say this for two years in a row, but NEXT YEAR I'm going to an NBA game here in Italy!

-Jackie

PS If anyone is in Rome tomorrow (October 7th) and wants to see one of the games, the Toronto Raptors will be playing against Rome, which will be an interesting move for the Italian star of the Raptors, Andrea Bargnani.

And, don't miss the article about the Celtics touring Rome. Despite the writer's bad form in comparing Rome's sites to those of Disneyland, you gotta love the photo of the Celtics in Gladiator gear!

3 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh. I can't believe it. I was eating my lunch while perusing the blogs and came across this post. It's so amazing to me because just last night our son stopped by with pictures from his recent trip to Rome. He had never been outside the U.S. and took it upon himself to go. Alone. For two weeks. And who did he see one day while in Rome, but the Boston Celtics! He was beside himself with glee and even got some great pics of Kevin Garnett.

I just had to tell you.

Ciao.

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

Wow! How lucky your son was to run across the Celtics in Rome! He must've had a wonderful trip--with or without the Celtics (going to Rome alone for two weeks is a big, yet very rewarding, experience!), but the addition of Kevin Garnett to any vacation is a surefire mark of a good trip :)!

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Pearland Snow Removal said...

Grreat read thankyou

 

Post a Comment

<< Home