Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Cheese of the Week: Going Tuscan

Remember two weeks ago when I promised that my next submission for cheese of the week would be a good one? Well, after a week of tasty cheese adventures (which even included some honest-to-goodness green English cheese...that one's got a good story to it), I discovered not only one cheese of the week candidate that fit the "good cheese" category, but many! So it looks like we've got some delightful upcoming cheeses in store. I can't wait!

Scoparolo, a delicious little Tuscan cheese


But I don't want to get ahead of myself. This week's cheese was chosen by my cheeseshop: the guy working there explained to me that Scoparolo was a Tuscan cheese and, more importantly, was quite delicious. I usually can't say no to that kind of recommendation, and I particularly trusted this guy since he had worked there for years, so I added the cheese onto my list of groceries for that day (I had simply gone to the shop to buy some Gruyere for a Thanksgiving day quiche, but in the end, I found myself picking up many more cheeses!). In fact, the cheese looked so tasty that I broke down half way home and broke off a little piece to try. I discovered immediately that my cheese wishes were coming true: third time's a charm.

Scoparolo is a rather simple cheese in the end--not nearly as complex as the Castelmagno, but I'd argue that it's just as memorable. It's a salty aged pecorino, and the flavor is a bit nutty and a bit dry. This is a great cheese to eat by itself, and we devoured the portion I got so fast that I had to buy another just to take its portrait (ooh, poor me :)!). This is the cheese to eat with a hunk of bread and a glass of wine as dinner: it doesn't need anything to accompany it, and if you're not careful, you'll eat the whole hunk of cheese in one sitting! The flavour is so good--not too strong (it didn't make me sneeze!), but not mild at all either. Perfect. How else can I describe it?

Mmm. In fact, I think I'm going to go have another piece now.

So there's a good cheese to go after (I couldn't find any articles on it at all, but I think it's somewhat popular. Antonello was saying he had tried it before)! And there will be more too...I'm having a lot of fun writing about one of my favorite foods!

-Jackie

7 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Blogger Texas Espresso said...

I am LOVING "cheese of the week". I totally want to do that once I move over there. (I could do it here but I don't think its as fresh) There are so many to choose from! I will need to put this one on my list. hehe

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger pgoyette said...

looks delicious! i'm so impressed with your cheese photography. you should keep it up, even after november is over...

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bring some home!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Rowena said...

Absolutely gorgeous Jackie. Ok, that does it -- should the day ever arrive where you find yourselves at our doorstep, the menu will definitely center around none other than cheese! Maybe we could do a tasting complete with wine and a few other people in order to get a whole bunch of input!

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Stelle in Italia said...

thanks everyone! i'm glad you are enjoying these cheese-of-the-week posts! texas espresso: i was surprised to find that a lot of american cheeses are pretty serious quality--you could do a cheese of the week too :)! at some point i'd like to do a cheese-of-the-week meme so that i can see what other cheeses are out there :)!

paul: glad you like the photography. i feel like i don't really know what i'm doing!

dad: i'll bring some home...i just have to see if i can vacuum pack it.

rowena: okay! i'm coming then! :)

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good, we are waiting for you and Antonello.
Good job you are doing with those posts about cheeses. If i can give a suggestion, you should specify which wine is supposed to be drunk with any cheese ;-)

Dario

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger chelsea said...

hey there. it's chelsea from parrrrr-ma. gotta' get that distinctive roll of the r (somewhere between french and german influence) of the parmense. of course you've tried parmegiano, si?! i haven't been following the cheese of the week, sorry. but, have you tried castelmagno from the very north of italy? it's a scary looking, but, interestingly delicious very dry cheese. look for that and post it if you can--a little challenge. hee hee...
great blog by the way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home