Thursday, December 19, 2013

The Thursday Before Christmas

I have been busily finishing up my lessons before Christmas, and today, once I got home after a particularly long day of lessons, it hit me. This week is almost over. My dad gets here on Saturday. My brother and his family on Monday. And then there's Christmas, of course, just a few days after. How it has all crept up on me, I don't know, but somehow Christmas is right around the bend.

And yet family has been on my mind all day. Reading Corrie's blog post about family and Italy and good food, good company, and good cheer (yes, that was a wonderful Christmas together, bella!) and then later discussing gift ideas for my niece with my brother-in-law. Then, this evening, during one of my private lessons, I found myself proudly showing off family photos, talking about what we'll all be doing the next week, aglow with thoughts of this first Christmas together in years.

But even throughout all of those moments, I don't think I realized. It's just days away. I can't wait to be part of this, to participate with family in celebrating together, for some the first Christmas in Italy, for others of us, a tradition that finally brings both my family and my husband's family together. I can just see us all, gathered around a dinner table, talking and communicating and gesturing and laughing. The more I see it, the more clearly it all develops, the more excited I get. Yes, there are still gifts to be bought. There are still errands to be run and last minute this and thats. Somehow all of those little things will come together though. They always do.

-Jackie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home