Thursday, January 15, 2004

As mornings go...

This morning I had to go to work early. Needless-to-say, I was not thrilled, but I had decided beforehand that today I wanted to work in the morning (normally I work in the afternoon and get to sleep in--late), so that I could spend the afternoon with friends and doing grocery shopping (which, in the end, turned more into a long afternoon nap, but that's another story).

Anyway, Antonello picked me up at my apartment, and I was in the worst mood. We left to go to work, and I was complaining horrifically about how early it was, how I was still suffering jet-lag (which is a joke, considering I've been here for over 2 weeks already), and how it is impossible to wake up in my apartment being that it is underground (hence no window-light). It's like a bear sleeping in a cave. And I do like to sleep.

But Antonello, being who he is, put up with my complaining and just smiled and laughed and patted my shoulder, and we drove off to work--him smiling, me complaining and wanting to go right back to sleep.

However, in the midst of all of my complaining, we drove by the countryside, and it was beautiful. It was somehow richer in the morning--all of the clouds, which in daylight would have looked just dreary, gathered together to make the sky seem larger than normal--like its eyes were wide open. Cupolas of churches silhouetted beautifully against the rising sunlight, and the mountains were purple and snow-tipped. It was morning in Italy--and I could see why someone might want to wake up early, just to see the day begin.

I told Antonello that I wished I had brought a camera, because I doubted I would be up this early again.

-Jackie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home