Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Italian Glaciers Grace Hoosier Restuarant

Reading of Jackie's adventures in Italia is inspiring. Not only because she writes of magical events in a magical place, but because her notes remind me to take notice of the little things. If I pay close enough attention, any place can reveal its magic in the details.

Last night I had dinner with some friends at a restaurant downtown in Indianapolis. All our food came at the same time, the restaurant owner's brother didn't help himself to a seat at our table, and espressos were on the menu for more than $3 a shot. Needless to say, this was no Italian trattoria - but tasty all the same.

On the way out, I wrapped my scarf around my neck with one hand and grabbed a mint with the other. Looking down, with my coat only half on, I saw the crystal blue wrapping around each candy in the dish. Closer inspection revealed a Perugina trademark. They were Italian mints, "Glacia" to be precise.

With the crisp mint candy in my mouth and the crisp winter air in my lungs, my friends and I walked through the lights of the downtown streets - not medieval streets, not through ancient gates, not through patinaed piazzas. Just a little thing, but a sweet reminder of the sweet details. A little bit of Italian magic from the American candy dish.

-Corrie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home