Sunday, March 09, 2008

Can the weekend never end?

It seems like the weekends pass so quickly. Today we had lunch with Antonello's family at a house in the countryside that is connected to the factory of Antonello's uncles (somehow there is always a house in the countryside available for outings and lunches, but never for actually LIVING in...don't ask me the details!), and it was sort of an early Easter get together, seeing that I'm leaving to go back to the states in just a few days, and therefore I will miss Easter. It was a lot of fun--it's not often that we get to see Antonello's extended family, even though they all live here in Macerata, so catching up with various aunts and uncles, cousins and nieces is nice.

Easter is another one of my favorite Italian holidays--it seems to mean so much more here, with huge meals with family, processions and events in town, days off from work, and time to gather with friends as well--and while I'm excited to go home, I'm going to miss my husband and all of the festivities during these days away. So it was good to have a chance to celebrate Easter with everyone, in this way not entirely missing out on the holiday.

In celebrating today, saying goodbye to people and taking in views of the countryside, I remembered how soon it is I will actually be leaving. I never am good at leaving, especially when it means being separated from Antonello, and these days I've had very little time to think about how imminent this trip is. All of those things that come with travel--nerves, excitement, a little bit of not wanting to go mixed with huge amounts of wanting to go--seemed to assault me all at once, instead of the normal creeping up that they do when I have more time on my hands to actually think about the departure. So today I am trying to make the most of these last few days here, start packing, and get excited about a little vacation to America. And while I do that, I'm trying to prepare for these last two days of serious work--more long hours--as well.

Yes, I procrastinate, as all of the sudden packing and preparing etc. is piled up before me--but it's been busy. I'll get it all done, and soon I'll be on my way back to the states.

-Jackie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home